Thursday, September 07, 2006

MRI~results

First, thank you so much to everyone for your support and prayers. They truely helped me to be patient through this whole proceedure. I was able to not run for about three weeks, which normally would have been very difficult for me. I also was able to wait for test results, without freaking out. Thank you so much for your help in this!!

I got a little nervous getting ready to go to the doctor yesterday. I started to wonder why, as I had been feeling fine about everything, no matter what the results were. Then I realized that this was the turning point. I would have an answer either way. It dawned on me then, that it had been easier for me to be in limbo!

So, the sports medicine doctor walks through the door with his hand out to shake mine. I shake his hand and say hello, how are you? and he said "I'm so happy when I'm wrong!" So I ask if he meant I didnt' have a stress fracture, and that's exactly what he meant. He then showes me the slides of my MRI since I was interested seeing them. He doesn't see any arthritis, or osteoperosis which are both good. He tells me that the reason that I am having pain in the sacro-iliac joint (I included this link to show what the s-i joint is. Look for the line that the arrow is pointing to.) is that the two sides of my pelvis are moving in different directions causing friction. One symptom is the pain and pinching in the S-I joint, and the other shown on the MRI is bone spurs on the front of my hip bones (my pubic bone). Great, now I have to worry about bone spurs too, yikes!

He tells me that the good news is that this is something they can help me fix........BUT it won't be easy. So he wants me to take physical therapy for a month and come back. What that means is that I saw the p.t. that same day (thank goodness) and I do the exercises on my own, then I go back to the p.t. in three weeks. I'm allowed to run to my pain tolerance. Both the doctor and the physical therapist want me to continue the yoga and pilates, as well as start cross training on a bike or stair stepper. So I'm doing physical therapy exercises twice a day now, and the doctor was right, they arent' easy, but they are doable. They just take some concintration and effort. I have felt pain in the front now, but hope that means the muscles are getting to where they need to be and stablizing the hips.

So that's the outcome so far. Thanks again for asking about me and praying for me!!

Lisa :)

No comments: